12 Loads of Laundry (and then some)

thanks-universeHellloooo up there! It’s me emerging – rumpled, a little sweaty, maybe a discarded raisin or two stuck to my face – from under a mountain of bust-out onesies and small, impossibly oatmeal-encrusted striped t-shirts. My sister’s visit was awesome but exhausting, big props to those of you with twins. Two babies at once has a special way of (adorably) consuming the days!

babiesThe 9th has come and gone, and the Love Story is still hibernating. I know. In lieu of explanation, I thought I would submit this photo of our car, literally packed with 12 loads of laundry on their way to be burned monopolize a laundromat somewhere:

laundry-car-bwSuch are things, to date.  However, thanks to a sweet mother-in-law who doesn’t mind a little elbow grease, we’ve almost got a handle on things again, WHEW.

In other, somewhat cooler news, that gorgeous Gabrielle of Design Mom featured one of my illustrated quotes the other day with a growing a family story! The piece is by another artist Mama, Mallory Myers, recounting her experience with perinatal panic attacks and OCD. More about that in a moment, first I’ve gotta tell you how weird it is that Gabrielle (unknowingly) chose to pair our stuff. Totally unrelated, Mallory actually sent me the nicest email a couple months ago because she felt a connection with her own process, of “art making and motherhood, and how they can work in tandem.” The feeling was mutual! Of all the people on this here wild, wild web… so cool that we were connected again.

Mallory’s story is a tender, important and gently uplifting read. Beyond postpartum depression, I wasn’t really aware that perinatal mood disorders were so pervasive… though I should have been. I have to say, I haven’t always felt my finest in these months after Alida’s birth. It’s not overwhelming, but I do sometimes feel a little shadow tugging at my heels, a bit more anxiety than usual. I think the stress of visitors and other family responsibilities has taken a toll on me… I can tell this is a time when I need to take care of myself. This was a beautifully apt reminder.

The illustration Gabrielle chose is the clever little kicker. I’ve been talking to Achim about that shadow tugging at my heels… Looks like I’ve gotta do some jumping!

So, a little vote of confidence from Gabrielle, whom I’ve admired for years, plus a reminder that doing these here little drawings and stories does have the possibility to connect people and generally do good, not to mention a reminder from MYSELF to be brave… It was just the healthy dose of affirmation I needed.

Such are things, to date, indeed.

xo
Elena

p.s. If you’ve found your way here via Design Mom, welcome! So glad you are here. 🙂

11 thoughts on “12 Loads of Laundry (and then some)

1. Dakota Nyght

That is so wonderful Elena! Congratulations! And I do hope you are able to take a little downtime for yourself in the wake of your family. I’ve found two to be more challenging to recover from than just one child – at any stage!

1. Elena

Whew, too true, Dakota. Especially now that Alida is movin and shakin, so exciting but things are getting busier and busier. I have actually finally conceded to Achim’s requests for more “systems” around the house, meal planning, systematic approaches to laundry etc. Generally i am allergic to habit, but it has come to this! lol.

2. Iris Fitzpatrick

Jumping over your own shadow, hahaha that had to come from the german. I love translating expressions especially if they work as well as this one 😉 I really enjoyed today.

1. Elena

Lol I love translating expressions from German – i think in your native language they fly under the radar, don’t really evoke the same image anymore, but they seem so apt when they are freshly learned. Miss you guys, hope to see you soon! xo

3. Roseanna

I saw that and find it curious Humanoids chose to publish their “official statement” at The Marvel Mas&rrwoekst#8221; site.That is a place where people using socks routinely claim to be attorneys, comic book professionals, former publishers, etc..

4. important site

I simply want to mention I’m all new to blogs and really liked you’re web blog. More than likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You definitely come with perfect articles. Thank you for revealing your website.

5. John Deere Technical Manuals

I have to say that this is really a good influencing look at this particular subject matter. I’m really pleased you shared your thoughts plus smart ideas and I discovered I somewhat agree. I seriously like your clear writing additionally , the efforts you might have used writing this submit. Numerous thanks yous for your strong work and very good luck with your blog, I most certainly will be awaiting new articles within the future.

6. House Plans

Wonderful work! This is the kind of info that are meant to be shared around the web. Disgrace on the search engines for now not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thanks =)

7. Home Interior

Thank you, I’ve recently been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve found out till now. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain about the supply?

8. John Deere Repair Manuals

Had to deliver that minimal remark to thanks a ton all over again for these spectacular techniques you could have provided here. It’s so particularly generous with others as you to supply unreservedly what most people could have marketed being an e book to earn some dough on their own, primarily in view that you can have tried it if you ever wanted. The tactics also acted to turn into easy way to recognize that most people have similar desire just as my personal to understand a lot more concerning this condition. I’m there are many easier opportunities up front if you went through your website post.